This essential oil is obtained from the peels of orange by cold compression. Although all of you know oranges very well, still, let me give you its botanical name. It is Citrus Sinensis. The liquid which comes in the packet of orange flavored soft drink concentrates is sometimes this oil. The main components of this oil are Alpha Pinene, Citronellal, Geranial, Sabinene, Myrcene, Limonene, Linalool and Neral. Essential oil of orange has a wide variety of domestic, industrial and medicinal uses. Domestically, it is used to add orange flavor to beverages, desserts and sweetmeats. Industrially, it is used in soaps, body lotions, creams, anti mark and wrinkle lifting applications, concentrates for soft beverages, room fresheners, sprays, deodorants, biscuits, chocolates, confectionary and bakery items and many such.
We have seen its domestic and industrial uses. Let’s see some of its medicinal uses.
- Anti Inflammatory: It gives quick and effective relief from inflammations, internal or external and caused by any reason such as over intake of spices, fever, infections, side effects of antibiotics, gas, ingestion of toxic substances, narcotics etc.
- Anti Depressant: The very smell of it reminds you of the happy moments and brings happy thoughts to mind. That is why it is very much used in aromatherapy. This gives a happy, relaxed feeling and works as a mood lifter.
- Anti Spasmodic: Spasm can give rise to a lot of problems such as continuous coughs, convulsions, cramps in muscles and extreme diarrhea. To avoid them, spasm must be cured early. This can be done with the help of Orange Essential Oil which relaxes the muscular and nervous spasm and gives relief from the problems discussed above.
- Anti Septic: Wherever there is a cut or abrasion, there is the fear of the wound getting septic bacterial infection. More so when it is from an iron object. The worry is doubled as there remains a chance of it might getting infected by tetanus germs. Essential Oil of Orange might help us avoid both septic and tetanus as it inhibits microbial growth and disinfects the wounds.
- Carminative: Being a carminative means being an agent that helps removal of gases from the intestines. Gas, forming in intestines and pushing upwards, can be very troublesome. Gas, being lighter, moves upwards and punches the internal organs, gives chest pains, indigestion and uneasiness, raises blood pressure, can risk your heart and gives acute stomach aches. Essential Oil of Orange can help you a lot in this respect. It relaxes the abdominal and anal muscles and let the gases escape. Further, it does not let gases form too. Orange Oil is very good for those who are suffering from chronic gas trouble.
- Diuretic: You got rid of gases. Now it’s your turn to get rid of the toxins. Again, the remedy is the same. The good old Orange Oil can here too. It promotes urination to make the toxins like uric acid, bile, excess salts, pollutants and excess water thrown out of the body with urine. Urination increases appetite and promotes digestion. It contributes towards losing fats and is good for the heart too.
- Tonic: The relation of a tonic to the body is quite similar to overhauling and servicing to vehicle. A tonic tones up every system functioning in the body, keeps the metabolic system in proper shape, gives strength and boosts immunity.
- Sedative: When you need to cool down after a bad day at the office or suffering from inflammation, you need a sedative to let you relax. The artificial sedatives or drugs available in the market are mostly tranquilizers based on narcotics such as opium and synthetic. These, in the long run, do immense damage to heart and internal organs. Better to follow a natural one like this Orange Oil. It gives relief from anxiety, anger, depression and inflammations.
- Cholagogue: It promotes secretions from all glands, exocrine or endocrine. Thus it is seen to promote menstruations, digestive juices and bile, hormones and enzymes.
- Other Benefits: It serves as a detoxifier, boosts immunity, treats constipation and dyspepsia and is very good for maintaining a healthy, smooth and glamorous skin. It also helps cure acne and dermatitis.
Few Words of Caution: It shows photo-toxicity. It tastes bitter and if ingested in excess quantity, can result in vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite etc.
Blending: Being citrus oil itself, it blends well with other citrus essential oils. Then it blends well with essential oils of Cinnamon, Cloves, Frankincense, Ginger, Black Pepper, Sandal Wood and Vetiver.