Barley grass is a very nutritive eatable and is used as a treatment for many diseases. Take a look at some important barley grass benefits which are mentioned for you in the following article.
Barley grass belongs to the family of grasses called cereal grasses which is very beneficial for our health. The juice of barley grass was discovered to be very rich in vitamins and minerals which are the basic necessities of our body and are useful for our growth. Barley grass is actually the light green leaves which are long and narrow and look like grass.
Since barley grass is one of the earliest food cultivated by mankind, it is always been a dependable food for us due to it's nutrients. About 5 gms of barley grass has more protein and fiber than one serving of 114 gms of raw spinach. Thus you can easily replace your regular dose of spinach with barley grass and get all the needed nutrients. Barley grass is consumed either in the powdered form or made into a juice instead of cooking it. But in whichever form it is, barley grass benefits are still dominant over other nutritional grasses.
Green Barley Grass Benefits
Before we start with the barley grass benefits and uses, let's take a brief look at the barley grass nutrients which are present and due to which this grass is so useful. These nutrients are as follows;
- Essential and non-essential amino acids
- High amounts of enzymes like superoxide dismutase (SOD), antioxidant enzyme
- Folic acid
- Pantothenic acid
- Vitamins: B2, B6, B1, B12, C
- Caretenoids including beta carotene
- Organic Sodium
Barley Grass Juice Benefits
One of the commonest ways to consume barley grass is by drinking it's juice. The juice too has all the above mentioned nutrients and is very useful.
- Since barley grass contains all the essential and non-essential amino acids, the body's structure and frame is very well made. Amino acids are the building blocks of our body and hence the development of muscles in the necessary places are done due to these.
- Barley juice contains large amounts of vitamin, which interferes with the action of anticoagulants such as Coumadin.
- It is very rich in minerals like iron, copper, etc which are beneficial for conditions like arthritis, asthma, skin problems, obesity, anemia, constipation, impotence, hypertension, diabetes, heart disease and kidney problems.
- It is also very high in chlorophyll, which stimulates tissue growth and also stimulates red blood cells for oxygen supply. Chlorophyll removes carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, helps to reduce fecal, urinary, and body odor.
- Barley grass has many strong antioxidant which help the body to kill cancer cells and overcome a variety of ailments, including acne and ulcers. This is also the use of barley grass for ulcerative colitis as the antioxidants are strong enough to battle it.
With these barley grass benefits, I am sure you might have learned the uses of barley grass and why it is needed. Thus use it as often as you can and stay healthy throughout!