Aromatherapy is useful in a number of areas like physical and mental pains and several diseases.
The patients who were exposed to the smell of vanilla felt less claustrophobic. However, their heart rate did not get modified. It was evident that the aroma of vanilla evoked some pleasant memories or created some physiological response due to which the anxiety was reduced. Some patients who are admitted in the intensive care unit, felt much better when given massage using the oil of lavender. It has been noticed that keypunch operators when given fragrance made less mistakes.
The aroma of chicken soup is good for cold.
It is found that if lavender aroma was spread in the bedrooms, elderly patients, who have difficulty to sleep and have to take sleeping pills, can sleep literally like babies without the pills.
Mice are hyperexcited if they consume large quantity of caffeine. If the aroma of sandalwood, lavender or other oils are sprayed in their cages, they would calm down. If these mice were exposed to the aroma of orange terpines or thymol, they would become very irritable.
Other aromatherapy benefits
- It reduces muscular aches and pains and increases muscle relaxation and tone.
- For women's problems like PMS or menopausal distress it is particularly helpful.
- Stress level or Blood pressure can be reduced.
- The immune system can be stimulated and infections can be fought with.
- Tension headaches can be relieved.
- Various emotions like anxiety, grief and depression can be alleviated.
- Digestion can be improved. Constipation and abdominal spasm can be decreased.
- The respiratory system is useful for tonsillitis, coughs and sinusitis.
- The circulation and lymphatic drainage can be enhanced to eliminate cellulite and toxins from the body.
- Some essential oils are good skin care agents.
- The circulation of the scalp can be increased and dandruff can be prevented.
- Aromas can be used as a first aid measure for minor burns and cuts.
- Common problems like sore throat, stuffy or blocked noses can also be modified.
- Lavender Essential oil is a good relief to dry and inflamed skin.
- Tree Tree Essential Oil is good to use for warts, rashes, insect bites, cuts and coughs.
- The immune system is boosted.
- The discomforts of asthma, arthritis and allergies can be relieved.
- Toxins can be eliminated.
- The mind and body can be soothed so that stress is relieved and muscles can be relaxed.
- Nausea can be treated using aromas.
- The essential oils lavender, marjoram and Roman chamomile help in relaxation and anxiety in palliative care.
- Irritable bowel syndrome can be assisted with the help of an oral intake of peppermint oil.
- The essential oils of Ylang ylang and Rosemary affect Alpha-wave activity.
- Linalool is a terpenoid constituent that interacts with cell membranes and suppresses cell action. It is midly sedative in nature.
- The pulmonary function of children with asthma can be improved with a 20 minute massage routine each day.
- The treatment of acne, athletes foot and onychomycosis nail infections can be done by Tea Tree oil.
- Aromas can be used to facilitate communication, decrease difficult and self-stimulating behavior and provide very meaningful communication.
- Aromatic massage reduces cortisone levels in children having juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.